The idea is nice. It’s New Year’s Eve. We’re excited about a fresh start, ready to turn the page on the calendar. We want to make the most of the moment…let’s make some New Year’s Resolutions!
Unfortunately, surveys show that despite the best of intentions, one in four of us will give up on our resolutions within a week. Almost 50% of us won’t last a month.
Why is that? Well, according to experts, one big reason is
we tend to make last minute resolutions. In fact, surveys also show that more than 60% of people who make resolutions, make them the day before we ring in a new year.
So, with that in mind, let’s get ahead of the crowd and start planning now. Here are some additional tips to help you make and keep your 2022 resolutions.
Six Steps to Success
- Dream Big – The bigger the better. Audacious goals are captivating. They excite us and keep us motivated. Now’s the time to set your goals high!
- But Think Small – You can dream big, but you need to execute small. Break your goals into modest, achievable steps that will give you multiple successes to keep you motivated and on your path.
- Write It Down – Strengthen your commitment and track your progress by keeping a record of your journey. Whether it’s a detailed diary or a simple journal of daily results, documenting your activity will keep your goal top of mind.
- Spread the Word – Don’t keep your goals a secret, share them with family and friends. Telling others reinforces your resolve. It also allows others to give you much needed encouragement and support.
- Speaking of Support – Reach out beyond your inner circle for support. Join or start a local club or group focused on the topic of your goal. In addition to fun social interaction, having a community of people to share your experiences with can help everyone to grow together and learn from one another.
- Reward Yourself – Forget perfection. Yes, you want to achieve your final goal, but the journey is as important as the end result. Take pride in what you accomplish along the way and encourage yourself to keep at it by pausing to acknowledge each success.
One final word of advice, keep things simple by setting your sights on a single goal. By investing all your time and energy into one goal, you increase its importance and avoid becoming overwhelmed.
Good luck and stay well.